Our Main Categories
Popular Catalogs
Customer Care
Links
Mailing List
Information / News

Shenango China, China Replacement, Restaurant Ware

Shenango, Replacement China, discontinued china pattern Made in the USA.

History of Shenango China - The company that would be known as Shenango began life as the New Castle China Company, buying and occupying the New Castle (Pennsylvania) Shovel Works plant in 1901, converting it to a commercial pottery. The Shenango China Company was also incorporated in 1901.

Shenango´s 150 employees manufactured hotel ware and dinnerware. In 1912 Shenango purchased the New Castle China Company and merged operations. The potteries chose New Castle not because of nearby clay deposits, but because of the soft coal which was used to fire the beehive Rims (kilns) of that era. From 1909 until 1935, the entire production of Shenango Pottery was devoted to commercial china (hotels, restaurants, and institutions).
From 1936 to 1958, in addition to their commercial china, Shenango Pottery Company also made china for the Theodore Haviland Company of France. They also formed a partnership with Rosenthal China of Germany, incorporating the acclaimed shapes and designs under the brand of Castleton.
Shenango changed hands several times, due to buyouts, mergers, and acquisitions. The Sobiloff Brothers acquired majority interest in Shenango by 1959. Sobiloff purchased Mayer China of Pennsylvania and Wallace China on the West Coast. Shenango was purchased by Interspace in 1968, and sold, in turn, to Anchor Hocking in 1979.

"More changes soon were to come. In 1987, Anchor Hocking sold Shenango China to the Newell Company of Freeport, Illinois. Six months later they sold the plant to Canadian Pacific, the parent company of Syracuse China. Syracuse closed the plant and reorganized. Former employees had to reapply for their positions. Many were not hired back.
In 1989, Canadian Pacific decided to divest itself of its china manufacturers, selling Shenango, Mayer, and Syracuse to the Pfaltzgraff Company of York, PA.
The Mayer operation was moved to the Shenango plant. Plans were made for further expansion, but the economic downturn and changes in demand resulted in consolidation and the eventual closing of the Shenango plant."